Eng. Saliya Sampath
Senior Lecturer Grade II
Department of Civil Engineering
B.Sc.Eng.(Peradeniya), M.Phil (Peradeniya)
Eng. D. S. Sampath received BSc Eng (Hons) degree from University of Peradeniya in 2012 and M.Phil. degree from same university on 2015. He served as an irrigation Engineer attached to the Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau (CECB) for a period of 5 months. Later he joined the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Peradeniya as a Research Assistant for a period of 2 years. He served as Lecturer at Department of Civil Engineering, University of Jaffna from Dec 2014 to Dec - 2018. Currently, He is affiliated to the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Jaffna as Senior Lecturer from Jan 2019 onwards. He is serving as a student councilor at faculty of engineering, university of Jaffna from Sep 2015 onwards and project assistant for WaSo project and Water Harmony Erasmus + project of University of Jaffna from January 2015 onwards. He is working as an academic sub-warden of male hostel of Kilinochchi premises from December 2016 onward.
- Member of International Water Association (IWA)
- Associate Member of the Institution of Engineers SriLanka (IESL)
- Life Member of Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS)
- Life member of Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka (RASSL)
- Member of International Association of Hydrological Science UK (IAHS)
- Life Member of Young Scientists Forum (YSF) in National Science and Technology Commission
- Life member of Jaffna Science Association.
He has involved :
- M.Phil. Research on the topic of “Importance of Incorporating the Components of Traditional Irrigation Systems for the Improving Resilience of New Irrigation Development Projects- Case Study of Deduru Oya LB Canal Irrigation System”
- Bachelor Research project on “Solid Waste Management in Kandy Municipal Council”
- Multi-Disciplinary Project on “Development of a Safe Road Crossing at the Engineering Faculty Entrance at Peradeniya: a Case Study”
His research interests are:
- Climate Change
- Hydrological Modeling in Ungauged Basin
- Modeling of Water Distribution
- River Flow Computation
- Ancient Irrigation Technology/Engineering Technology in Sri Lanka
- GIS and Remote Sensing
- WaSo seminar at University of Nairobi, Kenya July 2018
- WaSo scientific seminar at Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia Nov 2017
- The 2nd International Symposium on Conservation and Management of Tropical Lakes, on Aug 2017 at Siem Riep, Cambodia.
- Open seminar on ‘Water in the changing world’ and ‘Water: from challenges to opportunities’ on July 2017 at Cherkassy State Technological University, Cherkassy City, Ukraine.
- Workshop on ‘Water and Environment’ at Institute of Technology of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia on 11th January 2016.
- Summer school on ‘Water quality Challengers (4330)’ at Telemark University College, Norway during July 2015.
- Summer school on ‘Water resources management & treatment technologies (THT311)' at Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway during June 2015.
- AWCI training workshop on “Assessment of Climate Change Impact on a Watershed Hydrology including Hydrological Modeling in Cold Region Basins” during September 2014, held at Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD), Islamabad, Pakistan.
- "3rd World Conference on Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology" during September 2014, held at Hotel Manang, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- “Monsoon School on Urban Floods” during August 2014 held at Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore, India.
- Training program on "Climate Change Downscaling Approaches and Applications (CCDAA), Course 1 – Downscaling Methods" during Nov 2012, held at the Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Training program on "Climate Change Downscaling Approaches and Applications (CCDAA), Course 2 – Session B: Impact on Rice Production" during Nov 2012, held at the Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Sampath, D.S. Weerakoon S. B., Mishra B. K, Herath S. (2016),“Development of Water management tool using WEAP model – case study of Deduru Oya Reservoir, Sri Lanka”, Transactions 2015/2016, IESL Vadakkin (Northern) Provincial Chapter, p19-20.
Non - Indexed Journal Articles
- Sampath D. S. (2017) ‘Sustainability and resilience of Ancient Irrigation based Eco systems in Deduru Oya River Basin’, Multi-Disciplinary Approach of Archaeology, Ed. Dr .K. M. Alexander and Mr. H .H. Ashoka Karunarathna, S. Godage and Son’s publisher, Colombo, (at press)
- Sampath D. S. (2017) “Irrigation systems at Deduru Oya Basin, Present and Past”, ‘Ashirvāda’, Essays in Weuda Villi Hathpaththuwe Chief Court Incumbent Honour of Most Venerable Oggamuwe Seelarathana Thero, Ed. Rev. Welipitiye Indananda, Rev. Kudawewe Somananda, Rev. Halpitiye Samithasiri, ISBN 978-955-30-7438-6, pp 527 -551.
- Sampath D. S. (2014) “Resilience of Traditional Irrigation System in UvaWellassa”, ‘Sambhāsanā’, UvaWellassa and Four-fold disciples, Essays in Honour of Venerable KandaudapanguweSudhamma, Ed. Rev. Dr. Kotiyagala Uparathana, Rev. KandaudapanguweSugathananda, W. M. MenakaRuwan Kumara, ISBN 978-955-41896-07, pp 40 -59.
- Munidasa P. Ranaweera, ‘Technology of Our Ancient Stupas’, Ed. Ven. Welipitiye Indananda and Ven. Ekiriye Padumasara, Thūpa: The Reviewed Academic Journal, Sri Sudarshanaramaya, Badulla, Sri Lanka, 2014, ISBN 978-955-97102-4-0, pp 92 -104 (Translate English to Sinhala)
- B. K. Mishra, S. Herath, D. S. Sampath, K. Fukushi, S. B. Weerakoon, “Decision Support System for Sustainable Water Resources Management”, Nepalese Engineers association, Japan (NEAJ) Newsletter, Nepalese Engineers Association, Japan, Volume 1, Issue 1, Janu 2015, pp 5-10
- Importance of Incorporating the Components of Traditional Irrigation Systems for the Improving Resilience of New Irrigation Development Projects- Case Study of DeduruOya LB Canal Irrigation System, Master of Philosophy Degree Thesis, 2016
- Solid Waste Management in Kandy Municipal Correction, Bachelor of Science of Engineering Degree Thesis, 2012
- Development of a Safe Road Crossing at the Engineering Faculty Entrance: a Case Study, Multi - Disciplinary Design Project Thesis, 2012
- ‘Water Diversion Analysis using WEAP Model in Proposed Deduru Oya Reservoir Project’, IESL Techno 2014 (National Engineering and Technology Exhibition) held at BMICH, Colombo from 10, 11 & 12 Oct 2014.
- ‘Water Diversion Analysis using WEAP Model in Proposed Deduru Oya Reservoir Project’, International Exhibition on Water for Community Development and prosperity in parallel organized with 3rd International conference on community and water services 2014 "Water for Community Development and Prosperity" held at KCC, Kandy from 22nd to 24th August 2014.
- ‘Design of Leachate Treatment Plant for Gohagoda Dump Site’, Engineering for Industry (EFI) day Exhibition held at Faculty of Engineering, University Of Peradeniya on 27th April 2012.