Dr. H.M. Chandima Chathuranga Somarathna
Senior Lecturer Grade II
Department of Civil Engineering
Ph.D.(UKM), B.Sc.Eng.(Hons)(Moratuwa), AMIE(SL)
Dr. H.M.C.C. Somarathna is serving as a Lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Jaffna from October 2017 onwards. He received BSc Eng Degree from University of Moratuwa in 2013, field of specialisation in Civil Engineering also minor in Structural Engineering, and PhD from The National University of Malaysia in 2017, specialisation in Civil and Structural Engineering. He worked as a Civil engineer (Design and Planning) at the Ministry of Irrigation and Water Resources Management, Sri Lanka, from March 2013 to September 2013 prior to his doctorate studies. He has research experience in the field of Civil engineering with particular emphasis on Structural strengthening and protective technology, Material engineering and technology, Dynamic loadings and protective technology, Concrete engineering and technology, Polymers, also Sustainable materials and Systems.
- Structural strengthening, material and protective technology
- Material engineering and technology
- Dynamic loadings and protective technology
- Concrete engineering and technology
- Sustainable materials and Systems
- Polymers and Composites
- Involving in a research project- Strengthening of concrete columns using ferrocement
jacketing technique. This study investigates the feasibility of strengthening corners of
square reinforced concrete existing column by ferrocement jacketing technique to
reduce stress concentrations at corners and to develop a technical guideline for
- Currently involving in a research project- Waste for Life (WFL) Sri Lanka, Finding solutions to solid waste in Sri Lanka, which is led by a non-for-profit organisation called Waste for Life (WFL) in collaboration with University of Jaffna, University of Moratuwa, Sri Jayewardenepura and University of Western Australia. I am collaborating as a coordinator from University of Jaffna. The project aims at facilitating local communities to up-cycle locally sourced fibers and waste plastics into low-cost composite materials and products to generate income.
- Involving in a research project- Behavior of Concrete Containing Recycled Concrete Aggregates. This study investigates the physical properties and mechanical behavior of concrete containing recycled concrete aggregate as a replacement.
- Continuation of the research project (2013-Present)- Elastomeric Polymers for Strengthening Application of Concrete Structures Subjected to Dynamic Effects, research study which was undertaken as a full time Doctor of Philosophy student in the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment, The National University of Malaysia. This research studied the behavior of palm oil based polyurethane as a strengthening material to enhance the dynamic structural capacity of concrete structures.
- Involved in a research project (2012)– Initial investigation on straw based cement stabilized soil block in the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
- Involved in a research project(2012) – Identification of damages to building structures due to roots of trees, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka.
- June 2017 - September 2017, As a Research Assistant at Faculty of engineering and built environment, The National University of Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
- November 2013 - June 2017, As a Graduate Research Assistant, PhD Candidate at Faculty of engineering and built environment, The National University of Malaysia, Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia
- March 2013 - September 2013, As a Civil Engineer (Design and Planning) at the Ministry of Irrigation and water resources management, Sri Lanka
- 2012, As a Site Engineer at Sanken Lanka (Pvt) Ltd in Project of shopping complex for House of Fashions at Borella, Sri Lanka
- March 2011 - August 2011, As a Trainee Engineer at Design Consortium Limited, Colombo 7, Sri Lanka
- An Associate Member of Institute of Engineers, Sri Lanka (AM-15103).
- A Member of International Water Association (MCODE: 1615962).
- A Associate Engineer (203674) of Engineering Council, Sri Lanka.
- 13th International Conference on Concrete Engineering and Technology 2016, CONCET 2016, Shah Alam, Selangor, Malaysia. 31st May-2nd June 2016
- 6th International Conference on Structural Engineering and Construction Management 2015, ICSECM 2015. Kandy, Sri Lanka, 11-13 December 2015
- 7th Asia Pacific Young Researchers and Graduates Symposium 2015. 20 – 21 August, 2015, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- The Malaysia Polymer International Conference 2015. 10th to 11th June 2015, Palm Garden Hotel, IOI Resort Putrajaya, Putrajaya, Malaysia
- Seminar on “Addressing Problems & Challenges in Modern Concrete Construction”, American Concrete Institute Kuala Lumpur Chapter, 15th January 2015, Crystal Crown Hotel, Petaling Jaya, Selangor.
- 18th Malaysia international Chemical Congress (18MICC), PWTC, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 3-5 November 2014
- 12th International Conference on Concrete Engineering and Technology 2014 (CONCET 2014), 12-14 August 2014, Dorsett Grand Subang Hotel, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
- 2nd international Conference on Sustainable Built Environment. 10 pgs. Kandy, Sri Lanka, 14-16 December 2012
- Hyper-viscoelastic constitutive models for predicting the material behaviour of hyperelastic material under varying strain rates and uniaxial tensile loading conditions (File Number : UKM IKB/108/2/1591)
Bio-based polymer coating for retrofitting reinforced concrete structures [In progress, Under
the national University of Malaysia]